In this blog, I will describe how to customize the look and feel of the chat pages while ordering your QUIK Hosting service. When configured, the chat pages presented to your end users can include your company name, logo, service description and other attributes that will make the pages integrate better with the rest of your web site even though the chat service is being hosted by QUIK Computing.
First, this blog is really meant for small businesses who do not have their own web page designers. If you have web designers in your staff, they will be able to add the chat pages directly to your web site. For smaller companies, QUIK Hosting provides two pages. The first page is a “contacts” screen which generally displays your contact information and may include your company’s logo, picture, service description, contact information and a click-to-chat button. The second page is the actual chat screen. For the latter, you can currently do only minimal customization like adding a logo, company name and slogan but for the former, you have complete control of the look and feel.
When ordering the service from the QUIK Hosting Portal, you are presented a section called “Branding”. By selecting an appropriate template from here, you can customize the look and feel. Depending on the template you select, you will be presented with a set of fields specific to the template that will allow you to customize. You can use the Preview link to get a preview of how the contact page look like. Please use the Preview link to verify the look and feel before submitting the order. You can still customize the look and feel after ordering but at that point, you will have to contact our support who can help you with your customization requests. Currently, we support three templates:
- Basic: You should select this template if you have your own web designers and do not need to use the customization for the contacts page. But you should still enter the requested fields to customize the appearance of the chat screen.
- Expert: If you are familiar with the HTML syntax, you can completely customize the appearance of the contacts page by entering HTML code directly.
- Small Business: If you run a small business, you can use a template that we have created for small businesses. You can customize your contact page based on the information you provide in the fields.
Regardless of the template you choose, there are some common fields that you are requested to enter. The values that your provided will be used to customize the appearance. The fields are:
- Language: The language in which the chat screen is displayed. You can select one of the supported languages from the drop down list.
- Timezone: The timezone is used to select the timezone you are based. When accessing your chat transcripts or reports from the QUIK User Portal after your chat service is activated, the system will display the date and time based on your timezone. Select a timezone from the list of available time zones.
- Organization Name: Enter the name of your company or organization. The name appears in the page title as well as in other sections of the pages.
- Organization Logo: You can upload an organization logo file which appears on the chat and the contact pages. The file can be in png, jpg or gif format. Ideally, the logo must have a dimension of 100 (width) x 50 (height) pixels. If the logo is bigger or smaller, it is scaled up or down to the ideal dimension. If you do not provide a logo, a generic logo is displayed.
- Slogan: Enter a slogan for your company. Example: “Best of Breed Chat Service”. The slogan appears in the chat and the contact pages.
- Google Analytics Tracking Key: If you want your pages to be tracked by Google Analytics, you must provide the tracking key. For more information, visit http://www.google.com/analytics/.
- Visitor Privacy: While requesting a chat session with your company representative, normally the visitor needs to enter his/her email address. If you would like to make the email optional, uncheck the box.
- Operator Privacy: By default, during the chat session, the visitor can see the operator information including his/her email. Check the box to prevent the visitor from seeing the operator information.
- Operator Available Button: You can upload an image that is displayed on the contacts page when the operators are available and ready to take chat requests. The file can be in png, jpg or gif format. Ideally, the image must have a dimension of 250 (width) x 50 (height) pixels or it may not fit properly. If you do not provide an image, a generic image is displayed.
- Operator Busy Button: You can upload an image that is displayed on the contacts page when the operators are busy. The file can be in png, jpg or gif format. Ideally, the image must have a dimension of 250 (width) x 50 (height) pixels or it may not fit properly. If you do not provide an image, a generic image is displayed.
Expert Template Fields
The following fields are only displayed when you select the Expert template.
- Organization/Personal Image: If you like to display any image, you can upload it here. The image may contain a picture of you, your company, your product or any other image. This image can be referenced from the HTML field describe below. Gif, jpg and png formats are supported.
- HTML: In this text area, you must enter the HTML segment for your contact page. This is a free form editor and you can use any HTML tags to format your page in any way you want. You can refer to the other fields that you entered above using the <<name>> syntax. The following references are available.<<image>> – displays the personal image you uploaded.
<<chat>> – displays the chat button.
<<logo>> – displays the logo.
<<slogan>> – displays the slogan.
<<company>> – displays the company
Make sure that you use the Preview link to get a preview of appearance of the page before placing the order to avoid additional support calls.
Small Business Template Fields
The following fields are only displayed when you select the Small Business template.
- Organization/Personal Image: If you like to display an image, you can upload it here. The image may contain a picture of you, your company, your product or any other image. Ideally, the size of the image is 300 pixels (width) by 500 pixels (height) and can support gif, jpg or png format.
- Greeting Message: If you like to display a greetings message on the contacts page, enter it here. You can enter information about your products and services, store hours and any other information you wish to display to your customers.
- Primary Contact Number: You can provide the phone number of your business here. Alternative, you can check the “Use my Contact Number” check box and the system will pick the contact number that you provided during registration.
- Alternate Contact Number: You can provide the phone number of your business here. Alternative, you can check the “Use my Contact Number” check box and the system will pick the contact number that you provided during registration.
- Fax Number: You can provide your FAX number here.
- Address: You can provide the mailing address of your business here. Alternative, you can check the “Use my Address” check box and the system will pick the address that you provided during registration.
- Google Map API Key: If you like to display the address you provided above in Google Map, provide the Google API key here. To signup for the Google Maps API, visit https://console.developers.google.com.Make sure that you use the Preview link to get a preview of appearance of the page before placing the order to avoid additional support calls.
Remember that you can always change the look and feel after you placed the order. Our operations staff is always ready to help you.